How to install Linux OS in Virtual Machine
- Step By Step installation of Linux Os in Virtual Box
- Install the VM virtual box then click on desktop icon and
open it. It will show the following window.
- Click on New button
it will show this dialog box.
- Write a OS name in Name
text box like redhat 6 then select type of OS and version, click on Next button to continue.
- Set RAM size as per requirement 512MB to 4GB, Click on Next button to continue.
- Then it will show this dialog box, check the box beside Create a virtual hard drive now and
Click on Create button to continue.
- Check box beside VDI (VirtualBox
Disk Image), Click on Next Button to continue.
- Check Box Dynamically
allocated, Click on Next button
- Set the size of virtual hard disk 8GB to 2TB, Click on Create button to continue. It will
finish virtual machine creation.
- It will show machine name left side of screen.
- Select Machine name and Click on Settings. it will show this dialog box then click on Storage.
- Click on Empty under the Controller:IDE , select iso image file clicking on CD icon. When you select iso image file
then click on ok button . After that select Machine name and click on start
button then it will show following screen will be displayed.
If you Installing on system like host machine then
- Insert the Linux CD/DVD into CD/DVD drive and boot the
- If booted from CD/DVD Rom the following screen will be
- Move the curser to install or upgrade an existing system and
- To test the media select Ok, to skip the testing move cursor to Skip and press enter.
- Then it will show this screen means booting is started.
- Then it show the following screen
- Click on Next
button to move forward. Or (you can press Alt+n for next).
- Select your desired language, usually English. Click Next to
- Select the keyboard type as required usually U.S. English. Click on Next to continue
- Select the type of storage for the Computer and click on Next Button. Mostly select Basic Storage Devices
- Assign a hostname to the system(like rahul.rp.com), if you
wish to give ip address click on Configure
Network, else Click on Next Button.
- Select the nearest city on your Time Zone and click on Next button to Continue.
- Assign some password for the root, then click on Next
button. If you assign weak password then it will show this dialog box. If you
want change password click on Cancel
and change otherwise click on Use Anyway
- Select the type of partitioning as you want. To create your
own partitions with custom sizes, select Create
Custom Layout and on Next button
- Click on the Free
space, then click on Create to
create your own partitions.
- Check the box beside Standard
Partition and Click on Create
button to Continue.
- Select / from Mount Point Box, give the size you wish
for it and click on Ok to create it.
- Select the Free
space again and click on Create to
create another partition. Also check the box beside Standard Partition and click on Create button to continue.
- Select /boot from
Mount Point Box, give the size 200
MB for it and click on Ok button to
- Repeat the same steps and create swap space.
- This time select swap
from File System Type. Give the size
required and click on Ok.
- Verify the partition and click on Next button to continue with it.
- Click on Format
to format the Partition and continue with it.
- Click on Write
Changes to disk to continue, if you wish make changes click on Go back.
- To change the name of boot loader select Edit and assign new name to it.
- To assign password to boot loader check the box beside Use boot loader password and assign a
password to it.
- To keep all as default, just click on Next button to continue.
- Select Desktop to
have a graphical environment in RHEL 6.
- Check Customize later
to install additional software later. Click on Next button to continue.
- Now take rest and relax until the installation is completed.
- When above prompt is displayed, remove the CD/DVD from the
drive and click on Reboot to reboot
When system reboot complete it show following screen.
- Click on Forward
to move to next step.
- Accept the license agreement and click on Forward to continue.
- To skip the registration click on Forword button.
- Click on Forward
button to continue.
- Give a name to create a user and assign it a password. Click
on Forward button to continue.
- Set the date and time and click on Forward button to continue
- Click on Finish
and congratulation your installation is now completed.
- Login using either rahul or root user.