Repair Corrupt Boot Loader
There might be a situation where your boot loader i.e., Grub might not corrupted and you want to recover it or in other word repair it. Basically the reairing of Grub means installing a new grub on the existing one from RHEL 6 DVD.
To recover the grub the steps are as fallows:
- Insert the RHEL 6 DVD and Make the system boot from CD/DVD
- Boot the system in rescue installed system mode.
- Select the language with which you want to continue and move cursor on OK, press Enter.
- Select the keyboard Type and move cursor to OK and press Enter to continue.
- Select local CD/Dvd to make the system boot from it. As the system’s boot loader is corrupt.
- Move cursor to No to ignore the networking and also to continue.
- Move the cursor to Continue tab, to mount the ‘root’ from CD/DVD. Press Enter
- Observe from above pic, that now your system has been mounted on /mnt/sysimage. It means where our system root is residing.
- Move the cursor to OK and press Enter to continue.
- Press Enter to continue.
- Select ‘Shell start shell’ and move cursor to OK to start the shell
- You can observe that a shell prompt is displayed.
- Change the DVD root to system root by using following command
- Check that on which partition does your ‘/boot’ is using #fdisk –l or parted –l command
- Install the grub on /boot device i.e. /dev/vda2 by using following command
- If it shows no error reported, that means we have successfully recovered the grub.
- Type “exit” to exit from system root
- Againg type “exit” or “reboot” to reboot the system.
Note: Whenever you reinstall boot loader then it is mandatory task is selinux policy…..